Whizz Pop Bang job vacancies
Join our friendly team of passionate science communicators, creatives and
customer service specialists - simply scroll down to view
our current vacancies.
If you're looking for work as a freelance illustrator or writer, unfortunately we very rarely have opportunities in these areas. However, if you've got some super-duper talents that you'd like to tell us about, or if you're able to help us to spread the word about Whizz Pop Bang amongst your community, please feel free to email us.
Experienced Children's Magazine Designer
for an inspirational kids' science magazine,
working as part of a small, dynamic team on a full or part time basis
IntroductionEver wanted to make a real impact on the world? As the designer of our award-winning kids' science magazine, Whizz Pop Bang, you'll be responsible for igniting children's imaginations and helping to inspire a love of science in the next generation. You'll help to shape and evolve the magazine, striving to make each new edition even more awesome than the last. You'll become a part of a small, but high-growth company, based in sunny Cirencester, with a sound ethos and a warm and welcoming atmosphere.
Full/part timeWe're open to employing one full time or two part time designers. Please outline your preference, including your ideal part time hours, if applicable, in your covering letter.
Person specification• You're brimming with talent, flair and passion and able to create visually stunning spreads that will entice children to read each page of Whizz Pop Bang.
• You have excellent attention to detail and the patience for making numerous revisions to get as close to perfection as possible.
• You have a comprehensive knowledge of InDesign and a good working knowledge of Photoshop and Illustrator.
• Your prior magazine design experience, preferably in the children's magazine sector, enables you to work efficiently in order to meet strict deadlines.
Role responsibilities include:• Designing Whizz Pop Bang's 36 pages each month. This involves:
– thinking up creative ideas for layouts
– working within the style and colour palettes of the magazine
– commissioning illustrations
– sourcing and editing images
– working with the editorial team on the amendments until each page is perfect
• Working with the whole team to help develop ideas for the magazines
• Designing marketing materials, web pages and social media adverts
• Overseeing the look and feel of the website to keep it consistent with the magazine
• Designing resources for schools
• Potentially also getting involved in video production, depending on skills
RemunerationRemuneration is dependent on experience - please submit your salary expectations in your covering letter.
LocationThe job will be based at our friendly office on the outskirts of Cirencester.
Our companyLaunched in 2015, we publish a top-quality children's magazine, making science fun and engaging for 6 to 12-year-old kids. We're a new, dynamic company growing quickly yet organically. Our core goal is to help more children to enjoy and interact with science and in particular to ensure that girls are included just as much as boys. We are focussed on providing all of our customers with an excellent experience from start to finish - both in our products and in our customer service.
Next stepsPlease send your CV and a covering letter that includes your salary expectations, part/full time preferences and links to any online portfolios to us here with ‘Magazine Designer vacancy’ as the subject of your email. Or if you require any additional information, please feel free to get in touch. The closing date for applications is midnight on Sunday 18th March 2018.