Follow the ingenious journeys of seeds with our SUPER SEEDS issue! Learn about seed dispersal with our simple experiments and activities, like this dandelion model test to show just how far seeds can travel.
Dandelion test flight
You will need:
- Sheet of A4 paper
What you do:
- Fold the paper into quarters and cut along the lines
- Take one of the quarters and rule a line as shown
- Cut lots of slits along the longer section, trying to make them less than 0.5 cm apart
- Roll the uncut area of the paper around your pencil as tightly as you can and secure with sticky tape
- Pull out the pencil and gently push down the paper strands so that they fan out in all directions
You should find:
You’ve made a model dandelion seed! Try dropping it from a height as a test flight. Throw it upwards into a strong wind and see how far it will go.
To buy a copy of this issue, SUPER SEEDS, visit our back issue shop here. Back issues are £3.75 with FREE delivery to UK mainland, international delivery £1.50.
2 thoughts on “All you need to know about SEEDS”
iris tilley says:
sounds fun for my granddaughter and I to do and read
Rachael Tapping says:
Lots of Whizz Pop Bang readers enjoy doing the experiments and activities with grandparents – good for family bonding and time out from screens! If you’d like to subscribe we can take your order on the phone (0330 2233 790) or you can sign up on our website. You can also buy single issues if you’d like to try a sample. Happy experimenting! From the WPB team 🙂